Wednesday, December 7, 2016

7 isn't enough ;)

It's hard to describe the feelings I've experienced the past couple of days.  This morning we read Elder Nelson's Conference talk: Joy and Spiritual Survival.  
I think that what I'm feeling the strongest is JOY.  Ben is in bed, recovering from surgery, the house is   a wreck from a fire last week,  the children need me to help them get caught up on school work and piano practice, Nathan just pooped in the bathtub and my heart feels as if it could burst with happiness.  Weird.  But I LOVE my life!  There isn't anywhere I'd rather be or anyone else I'd rather be with than my own family.  
Sometimes I lose perspective and get so frustrated when the house isn't clean or large projects aren't finished - or even being worked on.  President Monson's counsel to Find joy in the Journey is so relevant to our day and time.  Jesus Christ is JOY.  When my focus is on Him, the temporary situations around me don't seem so pressing.  Who told me recently not to worry about being "done". Oh, yes, it was Sarah Anderson, when she was here visiting after Thanksgiving.  
Like laundry, Heavenly Father's work is never "done".  It is one continual round, so we'd sure better learn to find joy in the journey!  :)
After Nathan nearly drowned last summer, and after trying numberless remedies for his eczema, I felt I was at the end of my rope.  Ben was under a lot of stress at work and I was carrying most of the load at home.  We agreed that 7 children was a full quiver and that the wisest course for us was a vasectomy.   We could be "done" with babies and focus our best efforts on raising the 7 children we'd already been blessed with.  We prayed about it.  I journaled strong feelings both ways, we sought counsel from our Bishop, and in the end we moved forward with the procedure.
Well, it wasn't like I had time to sit around and regret an empty cradle.  Isaac Whitney lived with us for a couple months, We took care of Bentley for a week while Matthew and Staci were in Cambodia,  and then the Butt family moved into our basement for 5 weeks with 9 children and including a newborn.  School started in September and we were back to the books, with a treehouse in progress.  We have a beautiful life, but sometimes I allow myself to get a little stressed.
On November 4, 2016 our prayers were answered and Ben was laid off from his 12 years of employment.  They gave him a severance package that would take care of us for several months.  We had been hoping for this for at least two months, even considering out and out quitting because the environment had become so torturous for Ben.  He was elated to be free!  We had given careful thought to his future employment and decided that now was the time for him to pursue his life-long goal of owning his own business.  (He actually had his own business when we were first married, Tech-Guys, but I didn't encourage him enough and we thought school should be a higher priority, so it fell by the wayside.  Sigh - so many lessons to learn.)
On November 5th, I attended an Agency Based Education Conference, put on by Oak Norton.  There were a lot of great speakers there, but the most important message came to me through the Spirit.  As one lady spoke of the problems in public education and foster care, I warm feeling spread over me that assured me I was creating a happy home for my children, an environment that they could flourish in spiritually, emotionally, mentally, physically, and socially.  I wasn't doing it alone.  Heavenly Father was helping me, because this is His work!  
I had considered foster care and adoption, but suddenly I saw how silly that was.  If Heavenly Father has children that belong in my home, then why would I force them to come through a route of tragic pain and suffering when I can provide the ideal?   I felt a strong and sudden longing for more children.  I left the conference early and came home to hug each precious child and have a heart to heart talk with Ben.  We fasted together and the next day Ben told me that he wanted more children too.  He related an experience at work on Halloween, seeing a one-year-old boy learning to walk in a cute little costume, and feeling a great sadness that we wouldn't have any more babies.  
On Monday, November 7, I made some calls and got an appointment for a vasectomy reversal on December 6.  The clinic was in Logan, so we made a little birthday trip for Jared out of it.
The month in between was filled with the usual flurry of activities, school work, Abish and Jared starting piano lessons, scouts, Thanksgiving, etc.  But I didn't feel overwhelmed.  In fact, I increased my temple attendance and received a hope that twin girls might come to our family.  We will name them Ruby Dianne, and Pearl Donae.  I've enjoyed the break for my body.  It's so nice to be able to sleep all night and come and go as I please.  But I'm ready to sacrifice those luxuries again for precious little people to snuggle and kiss and raise.  I love Motherhood more than anything!  Teaching Abish and Jared to play the piano this month has been so amazing!  It's exciting to see them learning a new skill!  
Jared's birthday was a success too.  We drove up to Logan Monday evening, with Abish, Jared, Daniel, and Nathan.  We stayed at La Quinta Inn.  Ben used points from our credit card and only paid $25!  That included swimming, very comfortable sleeping accommodations, and a delicious breakfast buffet the next morning.  Surgery went well, Dr. Larsen was great, and we drove home safely ahead of a snowstorm.  Ty, Kaden and Nephi had all made it to their destinations with rides from friends.  Ty to ULC classes at Lumen, Kaden to seminary, and Nephi to Nin-Jitsu!  :)
I made chicken curry for dinner, Brother Stopa came over, and we had a chocolate cake that Jared picked out at Macey's, and ice-cream for dessert.  Ben is staying in bed, watching BYU-TV, and so far is doing very well.  I sure love him!  We all do!  Daniel likes to make sure his water glass is full, Abish brought him birthday cake, I bring him yummy meals and chocolate.  While I've been writing this most of the children have been upstairs with him watching something on BYU-TV.   He'll be okay. :)
I'm super excited about having more children!  My heart is filled with joy at this opportunity to continue partnering with God in His work.  I will trust in Him forever and find joy in the beautiful journey that I am given!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! So much has been going on in your life! I can see The Hand of God very much in your life. This trip here on earth is a wonderful trip, especially when looked back on. I have a tendency to hurry too much, try to get too much done and then I have to retrace my foot steps and try to undo what I could have done better, if I would have taken the time to think it through better, pray about it and even pick others brains about it. This life is for experience.
    I LOVE THE NAMES YOU HAVE PICKED OUT!!! WAY TO REMEMBER YOUR HERITAGE! THANKS! I will be praying for twin girls too! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. AND my children are my greatest blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this Rachel! Fun to hear a little of what's been happening in your home. Excited for another Lewis, or two! I always hope for twins. I hope you get them!!!! Love you and your family so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete