Wednesday, February 29, 2012

just a typical day, blessed to be a mother


I love these kiddos!  Today Daniel is sick with a little fever and deep cough, the same symptoms Abish has had for several days.  I wonder how he picked it up?
Oh.  Hmmm, maybe.   He sure is good at putting Abish to sleep though.  He's still sleeping and nursing well, so even though it's sad to see him sick, I'm not too worried.   We keep the humidifier going at night and rub garlic oil on his feet, and Dr. Christopher's lung formula on his chest.   I can tell he has a sore throat by his poor little cry.  He doesn't cry very much though.  He seems to take everything life has handed him so far with a cheerful heart.  He's started to smile a lot in the last week.


Nephi and Abish play so well together.  They're constantly building forts and engaging in imaginative play.  I hear them describing their characters and roles as they go along.  Usually it's family oriented, with moms and dads and children, pet animals, etc.  but there's a fair amount of heads getting chopped off too.   (Don't raise your eyebrows at me, the worst I do is spank!)

When they're not playing together or on their leapsters, or with neighbor friends, Nephi and Abish sometimes do something we call school work.  Nephi is actually very consistant about doing his math everyday.  We like the Singapore math books.  It's reading that he balks at.  Oh, he'll sit and listen to me read all day, which is probably why he has a great vocabulary, but he doesn't like to have to sound words out himself.  (Which is understandable, since he's learning English.)
Abish loves to practice writing letters.  She comes to me  and asks me to show her how to spell words.  I love it.  She puts a little extra swirl in her S when she writes her name.  It's so cute. So Abish.  She's trying to teach Jared his ABC's.   Today I thought I'd help her, and I got out the flash cards during lunch.  I held up the letter R with a picture of a rainbow and said, "Jared, say 'rainbow'".
Jared: "bo-bo"
Good job!
Holding up the letter I:  "Jared, say 'igloo'"
Jared: "Ew!"
Good job!
L, say "lion"
Jared: Raarrrrrgh!
ha, ha, ha  good job, lions say Raarrrgh
C - what's this, Jared?
Jared: Tat!
Yep, that's a kitty cat, good job!
A - Oh, here's an angel.  Jared, can you say "angel"?
Jared: Doo - do - dooooooo!
Huh?  Oh, yeah, that's the sound angel Moroni makes with his trumpet!  Good job!
Next was O and he called the orange a "bapo" but I said, "no, this is not an apple, this is an orange, you have to peel it."  He said, "oh."  (I'm not sure if he meant, "Oh, I get it." or "O" as in short for "orange".)

He said the words "house" and "boat" perfectly and was pretty proud of himself when I made a big deal out of it.   He kept saying "boat! boat!" when I was putting him down for his nap.  I told him I'd go get his boat, which I did, but when I got back he was already sound asleep.  I laid it on his chest with his favorite little fish.


Yep, no doubt about it, I am very blessed to be the mother of these children!



2 comments:

  1. Wow!! I love it!! You are such a gifted writer! Maybe that goes along with being a great actress? Precious children! and you are doing a great job of being a great Mom! You make me proud, or . . . .very pleased!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just re-read your blog and received inspiration for today! Thanks for taking the time to write!

    ReplyDelete