Saturday, October 4, 2014

This I know, God answers prayers!

I love General Conference!  Elder D. Todd Christofferson is always one of my favorite speakers.  In his talk this morning he said (as best I can remember) "divine aid can be available to us every hour . . . but we must take responsibility and go to work, so there can be something for God to help us with."  I understand this principle.  I said the same thing to Jared last week when he was lying on the floor crying: "Will you help me clean my room?"  I answered:  "I'm not going to do it for you, and I can't help you until you get started."
But I want to record and share my testimony of this principle in action in my own life.

We've known for nearly two months that the renters in our Springville house would be moving out at the end of September.  I listed the house on KSL in August and received a lot of interest, but the folks I met and showed the house to were not anyone I would feel comfortable renting to.  After talking to a few Property Managers and hearing how they generally get a higher quality of clientele coming to them, knowing they will perform background and credit checks, etc., Ben and I decided to go ahead and hire one.  This alleviated my mind during the very busy month of September while we moved to Lindon, and worked on settling in, homeschooling, home-improvement projects, etc.
About once a week I would call this guy that we hired and ask how things were coming along.  His responses failed to assure me that he was doing everything he could, and he never initiated any contact with me.  In desperation, I fasted on September 28th, and felt it was best to discontinue working with him and pursue another route.  I prayed about it constantly, trying to decide whether we should keep trying to find our own renters or hire another property manager.  I talked to my brother, Matthew, interviewed several more agencies, and finally found a lady in Springville that I really connected with and felt would do a great job.  She met me at the rental house on Thursday (Oct. 2) and detailed what needed to be cleaned and prepared in order for her to take the listing.  Ben wanted to go this route, because he has so much on his plate at work and at home that he didn't want to have to worry about it.  I, on the other hand, was sad that it couldn't work out like it did with the Day family, where we felt clearly guided by the Spirit in offering to let them rent our house.  It worked out so beautifully with them and was a blessing for their family and ours.  Still, I hadn't received any promptings this time, even though I had done everything I could, so I was ready to sign up with this new manager and turn it over to her.  She didn't have a contract with her just then, so we agreed to meet Friday morning at her office.
Thursday evening Ben and I spent cleaning and preparing the Springville house, along with the Days and our friends, the Higbees.   The Days told us of a couple families they knew were looking for another place to rent.  I felt impressed to follow up with one of them, even though it was doubtful they would be able to pay what we knew was a fair going rate for the property.
All Friday morning I deliberated over what to do.  Should we go the "safer" route and use a property manager?  Or offer it to these neighbor friends?  I made a list of pros and cons.  I listed the costs either way.  And I prayed.  I prayed hard.   It didn't feel wrong to offer it to our friends, and it matched my desires.  I hoped it would work.  And I took the plunge.
Messaging back and forth on Facebook, I felt out the needs and desires of this friend and her family.  She told me her housing budget, and I thought it over.   There was no sense of entitlement from her whatsoever, only sincere gratitude that we would consider making this work for them.  I kept praying that God would let me know if this wasn't the best course before it went too far, but it felt right.  I felt really good.  Peaceful.  Grateful.  Sure that my Father had heard and answered my prayers.  And guess what?  She felt that way too.  She said that this offer to rent our house at their budgeted amount was an answer to her prayers.

I can't adequately express my joy and gratitude at receiving this special blessing.   For the second time, the Lord led us to find renters!  Another wonderful family who is happy to live in our home and will take good care of it.  What a relief this is for me!   I know God hears and answers our prayers.  I know He loves us!

This experience was a witness to me of the truthfulness of Elder Christofferson's teaching: "When we take responsibility, and go to work,  God will be there to help us."  I was moving forward, I was so close to signing that contract, but my last-minute God true to form, was there.


2 comments:

  1. Neat Rach! Thanks for sharing. You are a wonderful example of listening to and following promptings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kim! As a little update, we're two years into renting to this family and feeling every bit as blessed with the arrangement!

    ReplyDelete